Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1 2014-05-28 19:49:58

Pomonoker

Old houses of worship either gone or replaced since our childhood

Saw a post on facebook, and it got me thinking about churches of my youth that are either gone or replaced. In my very early youth, our church was St. Margaret Mary in Manhattan Beach in Brooklyn. I looked at it with Google Maps (street view), and it appears to be as I vaguely remember it.
The Church where I made my first communion and confirmation, was St. Nicholas of Tolentine in Jamaica NY. It was long ago replaced by a much larger, auditorium like church. Just not the same in my opinion. Happened about the same time they switched the mass from Latin to English, which probably made it seem more different.
Anyone else have similar thoughts about churches, synagogues, or any other types of houses of worship, from their youth?

#2 2014-05-29 00:32:32

Olivia

Re: Old houses of worship either gone or replaced since our childhood

I was born in Philly, but baptized in Presentation of Blessed Virgin Mary in Jamaica, NY. I looked it up on Google & it's still standing on Parsons Blvd. I vaguely remember it as being large & cathedral- like. Maybe that was because I was a little kid. Haven't been a Catholic for a very long time & I'm only in churches for weddings & funerals. I made my Communion & Confirmation in Sacred Heart in Cambria Heights. I passed by it last year when my brother was visiting me. Looks the same. I now attend a church that rents a room in a local building & the focus is more on spirituality & good works than on religious ritual. It suits me  well & I am @ peace there.

#3 2014-05-29 19:31:52

from 28th street

I grew up in Manhattan. My childhood church, school and rectory are long gone as is my high school and its church and rectory. It seems sometimes you really can't go home again.

#4 2014-05-30 11:34:07

jimbo
Website

As a very young boy in Canada I went to a Catholic church called St. Bridget's. The church also had a Catholic grade school attached to it of which I attended. St. Bridget's has since been disbanded and I found out that Gothic concerts have been played there.
Being a little older having moved with my family to Flushing USA I attended St Ann's Parrish. I have since found out the the church had plans of closing down as the whole neighborhood is  almost entirely Oriental.
What was once a neighborhood Of Catholics, Protestant, and Jews is now dominated by Chinese Buddhist's. So much for that!

#5 2014-06-02 08:20:12

Mad Sci Guy

Jimbo,  I went to my old church last week, St. Mary's on Parsons and 46th ave.  St. Ann's is now a shared Parish with St. Mary's, not sure of the logistics.  The grammer school I went to is still in existence and called The Most Holy Redeemer and is sort of a prep school for St. John's University.

There are still many churches and synagogues but also many temples (hindu and buddist) as well as Mosques.

#6 2014-06-02 09:04:12

jimbo
Website

A few year back on one of my visits to Flushing my brother and I stopped in St. Ann's church. We were able to speak to the pastor and he explained the history of the church. It was built by the local farmers of the time to accommodate the spiritually needs of the people. Searching my old memory I do believe he mentioned an affiliation to St. Marys.
So good to hear from you Joe.

#7 2014-06-02 12:59:45

Pomonoker

My brother was married in St. Ann's.

#8 2014-06-02 13:02:38

jimbo
Website

Pomonoker, so was mine.

#9 2014-06-02 14:31:24

ed d

St. Anns was my neighborhood church   Fathers Cunningham (hold the cup a little lower my son so it gets more wine)  Dundan and Powers...My wife was from "downtown " so I was married in St. Michaels

#10 2014-06-02 17:25:11

jimbo
Website

Ed, was it Father Cunningham that always reminded us of Friar Tuck from the old Robin Hood Movie?

#11 2014-06-02 18:13:37

ed d

Jimbo...old Father Cunningham was usually "snockered" by noon mass.  It was Father Dundan who looked like Friar Tuck

#12 2014-06-06 11:20:33

jimbo
Website

Father Dundan was a fun Priest who always seemed jovial. Being nicknamed Friar Tuck the good Father just smiled and went along with the program.

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu