Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#26 2007-01-06 00:33:24

_tonyt

Re: French Hospital

French Hospital

Wow - this is strange; I just stumbled onto this thread.

I was born in French Hospital on Feb 15, 1961 and was delivered by Dr Nissim Alhadeff of Jamiaca Estates as were my sister and brothers in 1962, 1965, and 1967.

The ancestral history of Dr. Alhadeff's family is recounted in "The Sun at Midday - Tales of a Mediterranean Family" written by his niece Gini Alhadeff (2004).

Dr. Alhadeff was a Sephardic Jew and holocaust survivor who was educated in Rome. I've just discovered this book and can't wait to read it.

My mother is the daughter of Italian parents,  born in Argentina who was married in NJ, and went to see Dr Alhadeff on the recommendation of a friend.

Small world indeed !

#27 2007-01-10 16:06:52

_denise

French Hospital

I am so happy to have found this site.  I was born at this Hospital in 1966.  I have visited NYC many time and could never find any information on it.  Luckily I googled the name and this came up.  If anyone knows of a site that has a picture of it I would love to see what it looked like.  Til then I will read the messages that have been posted.

#28 2007-01-13 09:23:05

_tufrmone

French Hospital Dr. Jacob Daly

You may be interested to know that the head of French Hospital, was a very prominent physician named Dr. Jacob Daly.

Dr. Jacob was an equally famous magician (or even more so). He specialized in Card Magic. Dr. Daly, now dead many years, is probably more remembered today by magicians for his contributions to magic than he is remembered by physicians. He created a number of magic's most famous and commonly repeated card tricks. One which comes to mind, still in very much use, was aptly called the "The Last Trick of Dr. Jacob Daly." 

Dr. Daly was a contemporary and close friend of Dai Vernon, who himself was probably the greatest magician of the 20th century (and perhaps before or since). Dr. Daly and Dai Vernon would meet frequently, sometimes several times a week and perform a trick against eachother called "The Trick that Cannot Be Explained.", each one trying to outperform the other. Just as the name implies, the trick cannot be explained.

Perhaps some one knowledgeable about the history of French Hospital itself, could comment further on Daly's work there.

Tufrmone
Tufrmone@yahoo.com

#29 2007-01-23 20:17:05

_kathy

it's famous!

I was born at French Hospital in 1956 as were my 3 sisters in 1958, 1960 and 1962.
I went on my first date with my husband in 1972 and we saw the GODFATHER...when Marlon Brando was in the dreary hospital, it was filmed at FRENCH HOSPITAL in NYC.

#30 2007-02-10 13:17:35

_petepeterson

French Hospital

I was born there October 24, 1948.  The doctor in attendance, according to my birth certificate, was Dr. Arthur Reich. The picture is on the certificate. I thought the building had been torn down for development but am glad to hear it's still standing.

#31 2007-03-30 17:56:49

_theresa

POLYCLINC HOSPITAL

DID YOU KNOW THAT THE OLD MADISON SQUARE GARDEN WAS ACROSS THE STREET FROM POLYCLINIC HOSPITAL ON 50TH STREET BETWEEN 8TH AND 9TH AVE.

#32 2007-04-10 22:59:53

_brigitte

French Hospital

I stumbled upon this thread curious if the hospital where I was born was still in existence.  I was born in July 1962.  My hospital birth certificate also has a picture of the hospital on the top.  the address was 329 West 29th Street New York 1. NY.

My parents were from France and I assumed someone must have recommended the hospital.  I was nice to see how the history of the hospital.

The doctor in attendance was Jean Anderson and signed by Sister M. Cecilia, supt.

#33 2007-04-19 09:26:11

_nysaarchivist

1199 Union records

I am describing some documents in Local 1199 Drug and Hospital Union's records which are housed at Cornell University's Kheel Center. While trying to find out more information about French Hospital I came upon this site.

There are many files in this collection which refer to French Hospital. I have before me a Grievance Report Form filed on 6/4/64 by R. Malave for an employee in the O. R. Department. "She complain that Mr. A. BLANK was making advances at her - and that she feels unsafe with him around on job," it reads. It goes on to say that Mr. Blank was "warned strongly of course he claim that this is not true. One more complain of him and he will be lay off."

I selected this document to describe for a project I am working on called "Ventana al Pasado: Building a Latino/Hispanic Virtual Research Collection." The 1199 collection at Kheel is one of the collections in this project.

#34 2007-05-01 08:49:06

_kate

the French Hosp

Great site! I too was born at the French Hospital, in 1948, by Dr Heaton.

My Mother trained as a nurse there and graduated in 1938 I think.
She worked for years in the nursery.
She told me that the theater croud was often treated there as well as the Mafia.

She took me there when I was about 21 and it was still a hospital.

My parents moved to Toronto in 1950 and I am still here.

I am spending a weekend in New York in June and hope to drive by the old hosp. Any hints on what to look for?

My e-mail is abbeygirl@rogers.com.

Thanks.

#35 2007-05-04 23:01:15

_garyein1

FRENCH HOSPITAL

I WAS BORN THERE IN 9/28/1956
I AM TRIED TO FIND RECORDS FROM THERE
ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED

GARYEIN1@CFL.RR.COM

#36 2007-05-18 02:09:00

_harlemhattie

French Hospital

I was born in the French Hospital in 1941 and went back
there for the birth of my daughter in 1960. Someone
mentioned Herman "Babe" Ruth dying at French. My
memory is that he was a patient at French Hospital shortly
before his death. There is an old newsreel of him at the
entrance to the hospital upon his release. If my
recollection is correct he did not die in hospital. I believe
it was a silk sheet hospital in its day.

#37 2007-06-07 18:53:33

_alicegardner

French Hospital

I have two original documents relating to French Hospital. One is the birth certificate of my brother, Robert Gardner, born there June 7, 1950, with the doctor in attendance (and my mother's obgyn) also being Dr. Stuart C. Heaton.  As other postings have indicated, the certificate shows a small picture of the hospital, and gives its address as 329 West 29th Street.  The hospital number on the certificate is 41106. 

The other document is the diploma from the French Hospital's School for Nurses for my father's sister - my aunt and godmother - Dorothy Frances Gardner.  It states:

Societe Francaise de Bienfaisance de New York (French Benevolent Society), Founded 1809 Incorporated 1819, Hopital Francais (French Hospital), and certifies that my aunt  "after having completed with credit a two years and six months course of study and practice in the School for Nurses of this hospital has successfully passed an examination given under the direction of the Medical Board".  In Witness Whereof: this certificate is presented to her under the seal of the French Benevolent Society, this 12th day of April one thousand nine hundred and twenty eight.  It is signed by two members of the Medical Board, the Directress of the School for Nurses, Edith Jane Holden, R.N., and two members of the Board of Administration.

My aunt attended nursing school there because of a "French Connection", our family name of Gardner being an anglicazation of the French Canadian name Des Jardines (of or from the gardens).

The hospital was run by Catholic Nursing Sisters from Ireland. I was a frequent visitor as a child as my mother was a diabetic and she was a patient there on many occasions.  I also spent several days there as a small patient myself.  I especially remember the kindness of these nuns, and although I cannot remember the name of their order, do remember their white habits and coifs with many flutes.  One very petite nun, Sister Cyril, was a good friend of our family, and I remember she retired and eventually passed away in New Jersey in a nunnery which belonged to her order.

#38 2007-06-15 10:18:45

_frenchhospita

info

The author William Carlos Williams worksed there and he talks about it in his autobiography.

#39 2007-06-26 11:49:55

_kathy

French Hospital

Hi My husband was born in the French Hospital in July of 1937.  We have his Birth Certificate which shows the hospital on it but it is not the orginal.  Does anyone know where the orginals are??  I need it to see if my husbands Mother and Father signed it. You can e-mail me at kscorekeeper1@aol.com
                        Thanks  Kathy

#40 2007-08-03 20:50:44

_rafael

French Hospital photos

I was born in 1962 in French Hospital. I lost what I think was a temporary birth certificate that was in white letters on a brown or black background, it had the date and time of birth, doctors name and baby and parents info. Is there any way I could get a copy of this document?... Also could someone e-mail me a picture of the hospital before it became an apartment building?

rgomez_119@yahoo.com

#41 2007-08-03 22:20:25

_j

Certificate

White letters on a brown or black background.........
Hate to tell you this, but that was your real birth certificate.
That's what they looked in our era.
Our children's look different, not sure when that changed.
There are people on here that can steer you towards your records.
Good Luck,
J

#42 2007-08-25 23:41:41

_als

French Hospital

I too was born there in 1953 and would love to get any copies of pics that may be out there. I unfortunately do not have my original birth certificate but my mother worked there as OB Nurse while waiting for me to come into the world. While working there she lived in the one of the unwed mothers homes attached the hospital.

foxtv@optonline.net

#43 2007-08-28 15:22:45

_nicolo

French Hospital Photos

I just returned from NYC on a research trip. I have taken several photos of the building that is now the French Apartments, formerly the French Hospital. If anyone would like copies of the photos send me a note.

Nicolo@tampabay.rr.com

#44 2007-10-26 22:49:40

_michaelcuskelly

French hospital

I and my twin sister were born in french hospital on May 9th 1957. We were there to be put up for adoption right after birth. I had wonderful parents who have since passed away. Three years ago I searched online and found my birth mother. She is wonderful and my sister and I have become great friends with Mother.

Mother told me about life at French Hospital and the rooms where the "unwed mothers" stayed. She was not very happy about it. She was never able to even see us at birth. She said the people there didn't treat her nicely.
Mother was happy to know that Mom "I call my mother who raised me mom" always told us we were adopted and that we should love our birth Mother. I'm lucky to have had two moms who loved me.
My bith Mother ended up adopting 2 girls, who I consider my sisters. We have become good friends.

I read things like French Hospital was in the Godfater? Is that true?
I would love to find a picture of the Hospital.

MichaelCuskelly@roadrunner.com

#45 2007-11-08 21:55:25

_libby

French Hospital

I was born there 12/59. My mother was not unwed but my
father was not around. I found some articles in the NY Times
about it closing due to financial problems in the 70s. Very
interested in knowing more.

#46 2007-12-04 18:51:08

_billullmann

French Hospital

Just found an Ebay item (I am not affiliated with seller or Ebay) about French Hospital.  It shows the architectural drawings for the building from 1901.  It is for sale (not an auction).  Here is what the seller states:

"A Beautifully Detailed, Original Plan of the New French Hospital in New York, New York.  HAND-COLORED.  Welch, Smith and Provot, Architects.  From the American Architect and Building News, September 28, 1901.

The French hospital was on 8th Avenue & West 30th Street in Manhattan. Run by a bunch of nuns and served as sort of birthing center for unwed mothers that usually resided in like "group" homes in the neighborhood. As I understand it it, the hospital, was absorbed by SUNY which now runs a very large complex in the same general vicinity.  This hospital is mentioned in Chapter 9 of the Godfather: "Michael wakes up at almost 10pm, and sets out for the hospital. Michael tells her he'll see her up in Hanover after the holidays. Little do they know, it'll be three years. Almost 10:30pm, Michael arrives at the deserted French Hospital. Micheal takes the service elevator to his father's fourth floor room. Michael moves the Don to a safer room after calling Sonny. "  It is also the place where Babe Ruth died.

This picture is extremely hard to find, as the American Architect and Building News not only had a very small circulation during that time, but very few were actually preserved or colored as this has been.  It measures 17.75 by 13.25 inches.  LARGE PICTURE.  Has a mat border and foam core backing (not attached to the picture).  The whole plan measures 19.25 by 15.75 inches (with mat border).  Finely detailed and beautifully hand-colored.  Shrink wrapped.

Plan is in VG+ condition with light browning along the edges, a crease down the middle and some light crinkling.

This is a highly unusual, scarce item. See our other auctions for more hand-colored original plans.

#47 2007-12-05 01:25:32

_ddgypsy

Looking for records

Hello -

I was born in the French Hospital in 1962. I am trying to find my records and would love for anyone whom has found their records to e-mail me with the details.
Ddgypsy@aol.com

Thank you!

#48 2008-01-10 17:54:43

_dawn

French Hostpital

Looking for records from there. I was born there just before it closed down. I would like to know any information at all about where the records were transfered. please email me dawn_r@hotmail.com. I was also, adopted. Now I am searching for information about my beginings.

#49 2008-01-24 22:27:33

_jeannie

French Hospital, New York

My Mom was a social worker at French Hospital in New York some time around 1930 to 1942. I would appreciate any info about the hospital

#50 2008-02-11 13:16:29

_mcawful46@optonline.

French Hospital

Wow. There really is (or was) a French Hospital. The internet is unbelievable.  During some idle time I google'd "French Hospital" - and that it was.  Myself and my three brothers were all born there (between 1941 and 1946) and I remember my mom telling me that Babe Ruth died there in late 40's.  But until now, I haven't been able to even learn of its existance.  It's now an apartment building??

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu