Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1 2005-12-08 22:13:01

_babyboomer

PS 89 Queens 1950's

Anyone out there who attended PS 89 elementary in the mid 1950's?  We lived in the six story apts on Elmhurst and Denman.

#2 2005-12-09 10:29:21

_joeg

Re: PS 89 Queens 1950's

Denman

I grew up on Denman Between 94th st.and Lamont ave. 1954-1975

#3 2005-12-09 13:46:26

_babyboomer

more PS 89 Queens 1950's

seems like you'd be just up the road from me, though at that age 94th Street must have seemed like a world away.  Teachers I remember: 3rd grade = Mrs. Lewis, 4th = Singer, 5th = Mondeney, 6th = North... My landmarks are the candy store across from the 90th St station subway stairs on Elmhurst Ave, the absolute best pizza in the world place right on that tiny corner of 90th and Roosevelt, 82nd street Colony and Jackson theaters, Jahns Ice Cream...  We ended up moving across Roosevelt and I went to JHS 145 vs 16.  Any of this sound familiar?   

#4 2005-12-09 14:38:34

_joeg

neighborhoods

The grocery store was Kramers, next to the florist, the pizza was Frank's, but everyone called it Marty's after fat Marty who worked there. The gas station was owned by Dave Van Wagner.( I remember when the pizza went from .10cents to .15cents)The local street gang was named the majestics.I drove past 90St and Roosevelt last month. I was overwhelmed with the change its gone through.

#5 2005-12-09 15:48:45

_babyboomer

neighborhoods

I remember 15 cent slices, but not the gang. I think I was either too young or too insulated.  I drove through the area about ten years ago, and made a "quick" stop for pizza.  It was "almost" as good as I'd remembered. 

What I always wonder at is my mom allowing me to take the train to visit my grandparents in the Bronx -- alone.  She'd hang out our apt window and watch me climb the stairs to the platform, and my grandparents would be waiting for me on the other end.  No way would that happen today. Of course that window patrol also got me in trouble riding my bike "in the street", and her yelling at me for all the world to hear.

All in all it was a nice place to grow up. 

#6 2005-12-10 09:36:22

_goose

PS89 Queens 1950's

You guys just gave me a brain overload. Remember the park on the corner of Case and Elmhurst. I spent a lot of time playing there. When they dug it up, to build the apt's, that was one of the best construction sites ever to play in. The other gang in the area was the Golden Spic's. I remember watching a hugh gang fight on the roof of the apt building nexy to the park, I think someone got tossed off the roof.
  Strands Drug store was a regular stop for us. On mothers day I would go there with my father to get mom cards and candy. Then maybe pick up some flowers at the place next to the candy store across the street. They also had a tube testing machine and they actually sold the tubes. We kept our black and white TV and our stereo going for years thanks to them. I would take all the tubes out of whatever electronic equipment I found in the street and test them there. There was also Gilberts after church on Sunday and at other times. Anyone remember the waitress there, she was black and real skinny. What was her name?
   Slot cars across the street from Gilberts and I spent a lot of time working in the Associated food store keeping Benham st supplied with beer. There was also a small paper/candy store somewhere between Gilberts and Strands. I have a fairly large comic book collection and most of the comics were bought there. Then Between Benham and Elmhurst ave. on Roosevelt there was a great Chinese restaurant. Also I would get my bikes fixed sometimes at the Texaco Station, also a great stop for air. Remember those little cement benchs on Ask st. right off of Elmhurst ave. The back of them made a natural Chinese handball court.

#7 2005-12-10 09:40:51

_goose

Frank's

Also, pizza from Frank's every Friday because we didn't eat meat on Friday. A slice and a coke was a quarter, remember the coke. It came in a paper cone that was placed in a metal holder. Actually I always got Root Beer.

#8 2005-12-10 16:40:13

_eddiedowling

cement benches

They were actually on case st.

#9 2005-12-10 18:57:07

_jgreen

Goose

I think her name was Alice  ( J J's)

#10 2005-12-12 15:56:36

_babyboomer

to goose

This is scary. I lived in "that" bldg (40-51 Denman St.) looking down at the park.  I absolutely played there a lot. They actually tore it up after we moved out.  And about someone falling off the roof, boy I don't recall that, but who knows... I was just a kid.  Re testing tubes, I was just telling someone (a bit younger) about that last week.   And those concrete benches -- so uncomfortable -- they were off of Case Street behind the supermarket (was it Bohack's early on)?

#11 2005-12-13 08:06:15

_joeg

babyboomer

I also lived on Denman st. between 94th st ansd Lamont ave 1954-1976....

St Batr's 1960-1968..... would we know each other???

#12 2005-12-14 21:04:37

_babyboomer

Denman St

I can't recall too many St. Bart kids that I hung with. Seems like a few in my classes at '89 went there for part-time religious classes, but I can't really remember who.

#13 2005-12-15 12:57:16

_goose

Babyboomer

There was a kid that lived across the street from you, Peter Jacklege, did you know him?

#14 2005-12-23 16:25:52

_babyboomer

Peter J

nope.

#15 2006-03-01 12:11:51

_didi

joeg

You mentioned the filling station owned by a man whose name was Van Wagner - father of Raymond Van Wagner, by any chance?  We lived on Forley Street and the Van Wagners lived in the apartment house on Elbertson street directly behind our house.

#16 2006-04-01 23:26:59

_didi

PS89Q, 1950s

Babyboomer - We were at PS 89 at the same time.  My teachers were:

Kindergarten - Miss Coronado
1st grade - Mrs. Duker
2nd grade - Mrs. Simon
3rd grade - Mrs. Milazzo
4th grade - Mrs. Budnick
5th grade - Mrs. Cascavilla
6th grade - Mrs. Oxman (replaced by Mr. Kosinski in the middle of the year)

My mother (Mrs. Joseph) was one of the librarians - along with Mrs. Accardi, Mrs. Hessenauer, and Mrs. Warshauer.  Do any of those names ring a bell?

Remember how the 4th floor was "condemned" and we weren't supposed to go up there - except for the days it rained or snowed and we couldn't go outside for recess?!

Also - remember the annual PTA bazaars, and the Parents Club variety shows? Loved the bazaars!  The PTA shows were hokey, but popular - my father was in every single one while I went there. 

My last year there was 1960 - after that I went to JHS 145, and then Newtown.

#17 2006-06-03 03:19:24

_babyboomer

ps 89

didi... Mrs. Simon, yes. i went to 145 too. 

#18 2006-06-03 12:12:55

_babyboomer

PS 89 Lunch question

I'm having a senior moment, and can't for the life of me visualize the lunch room at school. Did we have lunch in our rooms? I remember a rather stark room with "lunch" tables on the first floor, but can't recall there being much of a staff or anything. Or maybe they let us go home for lunch if we lived close by. Any help in unblocking this puzzle would be appreciated.

#19 2006-06-12 15:07:47

_babyboomer

PS 89 Mrs Simon

Didi: This is getting scary. I'm going to have to dig out an old class photo. I was in Mrs. Simon's second grade class Sept '55 - June '56. Somehow though I don't know if I still have that photo.

#20 2006-06-12 16:04:36

_didi

PS 89 - Mrs. Simon

Babyboomer - this IS scary!  We were in the same 2nd grade class!!  I just dug out my  2nd grade report card and most of the class pictures from PS 89!! (for once I'm glad I don't throw anything away!).

I found a lot of the pictures as well, but for some reason not the 2nd grade one.  I'm missing that one, and 5th grade as well (Mrs. Cascavilla). I'm sure they're around somewhere.

I remember Mrs. Simon was very sweet (red hair, and her first name was Phyllis, right?), and very patient - she tried REALLY hard to help me understand math (it didn't work, although I got all S's in Arithmetic from her), and straighten out my handwriting.

I wish I had that picture - I can only remember a few of the kids' names - but I can remember almost everyone in 3rd grade (Mrs. Milazzo) because I have that photo.  Do you remember any names of kids in our class?

#21 2006-06-13 18:54:26

_babyboomer

Mrs. Simon's class

Didi -- Your description of Simon is right on.  I do recall her being a little tough though.  I'll search harder for that pic tonight. How about these names?  Not sure if they were really in that class, but most likely were: George Cooper, Joan Greenfield, Lois Shapiro, Stephen Stein, Richard Sasse (sp)... If I can find the class photo I'm sure it'll bring back more names.

#22 2006-06-14 16:34:52

_didi

PS 89 - Mrs. Simon's class

When you listed those names the faces came back - and I was able to link them up with faces from some of the other class pictures I have.  A couple of other names I remember - Stevie Calitri, Rory Kelleher, Margaret Dooley.  I remember that Joan and Lois were best friends.  Also Karen Berger was in that class.  And, I think, Annabelle Reevie.

Once Mrs. Simon called me up to her desk because she couldn't read my lefthanded printing, and when I "translated" it, she hugged me - I walked on air for days!  After that, I would have walked through fire for her ... but I still couldn't get arithmetic through my head.

#23 2006-06-16 11:14:48

_babyboomer

PS 89 Mrs Simon's class

Didi: Okay, have not found the pic, but your memory dump made me think of more names -- maybe not in that class -- but definitely among "Our PS 89 Generation": Hugo Parades, Howard Wertheim, John Golden, Karl Schnur, Maureen Tobin, Mary Ann Gilespie... And wasn't Margaret Dooley the daughter of Mrs. Dooley, the first grade teacher who suddenly died while we were there?

#24 2006-06-20 10:19:12

_didi

Babyboomer - Mrs. Dooley

Babyboomer - Yes, Margaret was Mrs. Dooley's daughter.  I was pretty good friends with Margaret for a long time - starting in first grade, actually, and going through our time at Newtown - we were in just about all the same clases all the way through school.  The Dooleys lived in the yellowish brick apartment houses on Gleane Street right across from the "Gleane Street Side" of the PS 89 yard.  I remember when her mother passed away - we were maybe in 3rd grade - after that, Margaret had just her father and her brother Tom (he caught a lot of juvenile teasing from us for being "Tom Dooley") who was a lot older (already in college before we left PS 89), so most of us kind of took Margaret under our wing which was easy because she really was a sweet kid.

Some other names I remeber from looking at my 3rd grade picture (Mrs. Milazzo's class) - Judy Mandel (who died from asthma in 5th grade), Sally Sendroff, Peter Hollander. Patty DiLernia, Leonard Seidel, Barbara Bauer, Peter Accardi, Linda Sobel and her twin brother Ralph (Linda was in my class - Ralph was probably in yours), Greg Correia, Billy Duffy, Andy Seifer ...  it kills me that I can't remember more of the names.

This has been like Old Home Week!

You said you had Mrs. North for 6th grade - I wish I'd had her instead of Mrs. Oxman - if Sophie Oxman hadn't gone on sabbatical the second half of 6th grade and been replaced by Mr. Kosinski (who had been her student teacher for the first half of the year), a lot of us would have been total nervous wrecks.

Remember eating lunch in the auditorium ("Every other seat, boys and girls!") if you brought your lunch from home?  We lived so close, on Forley Street, that I walked home for lunch just about every day.

#25 2006-06-21 04:28:29

_babyboomer

PS 89 virtual reunion

Didi - I remember the seat spacing during lunch in the auditorium.  And, many of your names are familiar: Andy, Leonard, Ralph.  Was Noah Engleberg a name you recall?  We were pretty close in 6th grade and JHS (when we went to 145).  You mentioned Lois earlier...  We used to sit close by and would always get in trouble for talking in class.  You went to 145... Remember the chorus? I think Mr. Friedman led it, nice man, kind of eccentric, waving his arms all about, like any good music instructor did. Do you know what happened to any of these kids?  Probably not here, but it would be fun to see where everyone ended up.  Definitely seems like "the good ole days" doesn't it?

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu