Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1 2007-07-28 20:42:25

_excyoer

CYO CAMP

Anyone remember  CYO day camp ???

Whitestone pool

Cresthaven Pool

Ally Pond Park

Kissena Park

Boat rides in Whitestone

The annual Bronx Zoo trip

The buses picking you up in front of your house  Varsity tranait

Those white with green camp shirts

And last those rubber caps and the big blue BUG juice truck

#2 2007-07-28 22:50:46

_joyce

Re: CYO CAMP

cyo

yes I remember cyo day camp the 1 thing that i'll never forget is the bug jucie!!!!

#3 2007-07-28 23:02:00

_msg817

cyo day camp 1962

i enjoyed it, but we had to do alot of walking from the bus to cunningham or alley pond park; i went one year. we used to sing; i don't want to go to cyo, gee, mom, i want to go home

#4 2007-07-29 07:46:39

_pomonoker

Bug Juice

Very interesting, bug juice is also the only thing I remember about CYO Day Camp. How about CYO baseball at St. Nicks, anybody have any memories of that.

#5 2007-07-30 15:20:33

_excyoer

the song

wow that song came right back to memory

thanks !!!

#6 2007-08-19 04:08:59

_walterm.

CYO Day Camp

How could I forget boarding Vito's old yellow bus every morning and being whisked away to Whitestone.

Where the red caps hated the blue caps, where the pb&j sandwiches tasted like sand paper. the boiled eggs were left over from an Easter Egg hunt. I used to look up at the Whitestone bridge and give anything I could be in one of those station wagons going to the country.

I remember the stupid bus songs too:
Ay-Ay-Ay-Icus
Nobody Likes Us
Cause we are the Campers of the CYO
Always a hurrying, always a scurrying
Bla bla bla

I'd give anything to take that bus ride one more time

#7 2007-08-29 11:03:06

_ledgesitter

CYO

I went to CYO summer camp in Whitestone from 1974-1976...loved Bug juice....remember those rubber swimmer caps to identify your swimming ability? I think it was red for beginner, blue for medium, and white for advanced....inevitably some kid would get a white one who shouldn't and would have to be pulled out of the deep end...I remember going to AlleyPond Park and everyone tried to scare each with stories of "Hookman" who lived in the wooded area and would drag little kids off...my bus driver for all three years (yellow bus #54) was a woman named Ann- we used to sing "Let's go bus driver 0-lay O-lay O-lay!!"

#8 2007-09-26 09:36:29

_eileen

bugjuice and the bus

I remember those days, I went to cyo in the last 60's and 70's. We always joked about bugjuice and the counslers. But I had a lot of fun. Made lots of friends. Which I could connect with them again...Miss those days...

#9 2007-09-28 09:35:25

_ellen

Not Our Kind Of

Parents be wary. The counselors have a sexual agenda for your children.

#10 2007-09-28 11:47:58

_excyoer

Ellen

what kind of bullshit is this

this is a post for pleasant memories from
camp

keep your crap to yourself

thats it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 2007-09-29 16:09:48

_eileenmurray

Ellen

I agree with  "ex cyoer " We don't need this kind of negativty. I had fun going to CYO and made lots of friends there and the counselors were great. They were always freindly and nice and fun.. I had fun swimming in the swimming pool at whitestone.. So Ellen if you had a bad expereience there then keep it to your self. A lot of us want to remember the good times...

#12 2007-10-30 16:58:46

_robert

CYO

wow cyo I attended during the late 60's from St Francis of Assisi we shared the bus with St Gabriels East Elmhurst. Had a great time we use to participate in relay races, softball games, whitestone pool red cap, white cap, or blue cap determine where in the pool you swam...

#13 2007-11-14 01:09:12

_charliebozz

CYO Day Camp

I'm 45 now, and I can't remember what I had for dinner last night, but I sure have some memories of the CYO day camp in the early 70's!

I remember having to change into my bathing suit on benches atop the rooftop of one of the buildings on the Cresthaven side of the camp.  With the summer sun beating down, you could have fried a couple of eggs on those benches.

I remember making "art" out of plaster molds, and going for boat rides on "The King", "The Queen" and "The Manhattan".

If you were really lucky, you were able to get a huge piece of ice from one og those big metal containers that the bug juice came in.  you would wrap the ice in your pool towel, and suck on it during your bus ride home.

I remember having cook-outs and catching frogs in Alley Pond Park, as well as an occasional field trip to the Bronx Zoo.

Lastly, I remember one song that we used to sing on the bus......"I like the girl with the rope around her neck, and a knife in her back, and a bullet in her head.  I like the girl....that crossed over the Whitestone bridge."

#14 2008-04-20 01:47:21

_jackhts1

CYO early 80s

I don't remember the bug juice but I do remember the mad dash at the end of the day for the ice pops.  Nobody wanted grape.  Rainy days being stuck inside.  Lanyards and painting the plaster molds.  I was on the fun/crazy bus from Jackson Heights (BSS) and between 81-84 the driver was always Willy.  He used to have his box tied to shelf by the window and every day he would be blasting the original KTU.  He was very patient with all of us!  We were rockers and used to blast AC/DC from the back of the bus.

Would love to know what happened to the counselors from that time.

#15 2008-04-23 15:56:19

_drjimmy

CYO CAMP

WOW!!  Bug juice!!!  Just hit me like a brick.  I remember being picked up in front of Mary Nativity on Parson Blvd.  There was this girl who was watching over us...a much older woman...I think whe was 12...I was 6....I was in love. LOLOL The year would have been 1969 or 1970...

#16 2010-10-25 19:23:50

bushwick440

I was an INMATE at the cyo camps at cresthaven and whitestone for 7 long years. My last year was in the summer of 1960 when I( was what they called a senior. Once everyone else got off the busses at Kissena park they took us over to a place called Chisholm Park in College point and just  left us to fend for ourselves. My thing every single morning was to go across the street to a small candy store, get a pack of camels, container of black coffee, a slice of pizza, and the daily news, and then go find a tree to sit under. Usually in the afternoon they took uss over to Astoria pool. Sometimes we wound up in Cresthaven. It was a crap shoot. Carol  Ann from Walton ST in brooklyn owned my heart at that time.=) The last time I saw her was during Christmas break in 1960 at the Hillside rollerdrome in Richmond Hill Queens.
OUR song was "Just ask your heart" by Frankie Avalon.

Jimmy Mueller
bushwick440@yahoo.com

#17 2011-06-11 19:59:04

pats50

went to CYO in the late 50s early 60s. was there when they announced Marilyn Monroe had died. also went to camp TSP for 1 summer.

#18 2012-06-25 18:45:12

merl

Went to CYO from 1957 - 1966...full summers

Anyone remember "Beachearst", "Plaster", Louie the bus driver with the hearing aid he used to turn off, salt water in the pool stinging your eyes, the "cool" kids who used to cut their rubber swim caps and wear just a tag "safety pinned" to their bathing suit, period bus tickets of different colors....I could go on...

Great to see others remember

#19 2013-09-14 03:26:37

missymoo

Wow....does this ever bring back memories.
I used to get picked up ifo St Luke's in Whitestone.
I had a white cap ,but i could swim .
I was little tho.My mom did it so she could work all summer and not worry about a baby sitter .
I think i was maybe 8-10.
I brought my own lunch though ,and i loved bug juice .
I wish i could find a recipe for it .

Last edited by missymoo (2013-09-14 03:27:07)

#20 2013-09-18 07:56:25

elizhabeth
Website

Wyatt is one of my favorite heroes

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu