Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#26 2006-06-22 12:13:41

_didi

Re: PS 89 Queens 1950's

Babyboomer - PS 89

Oh, boy, do I remember Noah Engelberg!  In fact, he's in the 3rd grade picture I'm looking at right now!  He had a mad crush on my best friend starting in about 5th grade - used to drive her CRAZY!  He would try SO hard to sit next to her on the bus when we went on class trips, and we'd plot and plan to make sure he couldn't - we were SO mean!

I wasn't in the chorus at 145, but another good friend was - Laura Nass.  She didn't go to PS 89, but we got to be friends at 145.  BTW - didn't Noah end up playing the tuba or something in the 145 orchestra??  I hope he ended up being a Fulbright Scholar or something, and that he's doing something that will save the world, and that he's worth baillions today - we were THAT mean to him back then, and he deserved better.

I stayed in touch with a lot of the PS 89 and JHS 145 kids through college, and even several since then - and my best friend from way back in the early days at 89 is STILL my best friend now!

There were some real characters on the faculty at 145 - Mr. Speigler, who wore enormous bowties every day;  Mr. Brooker, who sometimes lectured while lying down on the lab table;  Mr. Finn, who wore Buddy Holly-style glasses and yelled incessantly;  Mr. Adolphe, who didn't seem to do much except subject us to the torture of "social dancing" instead of gym once in a while, and who babysat a bunch of us in the gym during the teachers' strike;  and then there was my favorite teacher of all time, Mrs. McPhillips, who was entirely wonderful.

#27 2006-06-29 17:59:16

_babyboomer

PS 89/145 etc

Didi -- Laura Nass, sure I remember her, and all of the other names.  McPhillips, sure, had her for 7th grade English I think... Super nice, very encouraging, supportive and patient. Did you ever have an English sub Miss Lichtenstein (sp?)?  She absolutely could not control the class.  Every time she's turn her back to the class, it would go wild, and it would take her ten minutes to regain control.

My parents were friends for awhile with Noah's parents, and what I remember most about them was that they were like the first people we knew to buy a new tiny French car -- Renault Dauphine.  Mr. Engleberg was so proud of it, but it was so odd to see grown people squeezing into that tiny car.  I can't believe (though I do) that you have a friend from way back when.  That's amazing.  As you can maybe surmise, I've been out of the NYC loop for quite some time, but have never forgotten. The odd part about this message string is that it seems like I should know you, but when you volunteered your mom's name, it didn't sound familiar.     

#28 2006-06-30 09:54:15

_didi

Babyboomer - PS 89/145

Not a problem that you can't remember me - 2nd grade was a long time ago - longer than I like to admit - and apparently we were in only that one same class.  I wasn't very memorable - pretty dorky, as a matter of fact.

At PS 89, remember having to go up to the closed-off 4th floor for Phys Ed when it was raining or snowing and we couldn't go outside?  Usually Mrs. Roche (one of the 6th grade teachers) would take everyone up there and play records - as I recall, we "marched" a lot up there.  Must have sounded like herds of stampeding elephants to everyone on the 3rd floor!

If you remember the weekly assemblies we had in the auditorium, you'll remember Mrs. Duker playing the piano, and you'll remember the colorguard - I was in the colorguard, first on the State of NY flag, and then on the American flag (remejmber "Assembly salute!"?? - that was me).

I don't specifically remember Mrs. Lichtenstein ... unless she was the older lady who wore her hair up in a bun and who demanded that we all remain absolutely still and silent ... which meant that we all instantly dissolved into hysterical laughter, and learned to pass notes with the speed of greased lightning.

#29 2008-04-14 10:14:27

_lauranass-rosen

JHS 145

I'm the Laura Nass who was in the chorus at 145.
I can give you updates on many of our friends.

#30 2008-05-09 15:48:17

_babyboomer

JHS 145

Laura, I don't want to chat away in a public forum for obvious reasons. Pls try temporarymailbox40@yahoo.com

#31 2010-10-03 21:34:52

Hamilton Hall

P.S. 89 Queens.
I think the principal was Mrs. Pearlman.

1952 1st grade - Mrs. North
1953 2nd grade - Mrs. Duker
1954 3rd grade - Mrs. Feinberg (Feinman?)
1955 4th grade - Mrs. Calitri (?)
1956 5th grade - Mrs. Silverman (I think she died mid term)
1957 6th grade - Mrs. Oxman.

The 4th floor was off limits. Indoor PE was in the basement, asphalt floor, next to the cafeteria. Outdoor PE and line up in the morning was in the concrete courtyard. Winters were colder.

Fridays, we had to wear blue pants, white shirt and red tie.

Afternoon break - a pint of milk and 2 saltenes.

Polk movie theater was 25 cents. Subway was a dime. Phone calls were 5 cents went up to a dime.  Great pizza on Roosevelt Avenue and 89th street or Case street. There was a power substation on Roosevelt Avenue between 88th and 89th Street with what seemed to me at the time were huge generators. Max's candy store on 88th street and 37th Avenue made a great black and white malted. There was another candy store on 37th Avenue between 89th and 90th Street. It had comic books but was not a library. The Colony movie theater on 82nd street, also the Colony delicatessen.

Gerstenharber's toy store on Roosevelt Avenue and about 85th Street.

We would play handball on the smooth brick wall of the one story commercial building on the corner of 89th Street and 37th Avenue. Chinese or American. Stick ball, punch ball, stoop ball and a hanger to retrieve the 15 cent Spalding (Spaldeen) from the sewer.

Wayne Berkhardt, David Steinberg, David Gluck, Matthew Walsh, kids from the building.

Last edited by Hamilton Hall (2010-10-03 21:38:11)

#32 2012-05-12 12:06:12

babyboomer

Been off this site for a few years (obviously)... Laura, Didi, r u there?

#33 2013-04-25 14:47:51

babyboomer

> _lauranass-rosen wrote:

> JHS 145

I'm the Laura Nass who was in the chorus at 145.
I can give you updates on many of our friends.

Laura: try my kschnur824@yahoo.com address

#34 2013-09-15 12:19:52

Richster

I found out that Mrs. Oxman  (  a,k.a.  " Sophie the Terrible"  )   died in 2005 at age 96. That old crow  was too mean to die young.

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu