Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1 2009-12-10 12:29:20

zigzag

What were your favorite or classic concerts attended?

The first concert I attended was around 1975? It was an Allman Bros concert at the Garden, but maybe my most favorite concert was the Stones at Shea back in the 80's. Since then I have found that concerts have become a drag. I would love to hear about any artists/bands you've seen in concert. Were they famous then? Was it a small venue or large? Who would you like to see in concert that you haven't?

#2 2009-12-10 12:52:25

Mad Sci Guy

Re: What were your favorite or classic concerts attended?

The best have all been outdoors!

1) I saw earth, wind, and fire as a kid during a family sunday trip to Aquaduct.  Remember they used to have those free concernts???

2) Ray Charles a few years before he died at the Planting Fields Arboretum in Northern Long Island.  It was the time where he was popular during those "You got the right baby, uh-huh"  TV Commercial days.  He was well into his 80s I think and could still play the Piano and perform.  I remember the lady who was president of the Arboretum gave a big, boring speech saying that she hoped Ray would sing "Georgia on my Mind" for her.  That was the only song he did NOT perform that night!

3) Numerous performances at the Jones Beach theater inclusing Chicago, Riverdance, and Sarah Brightman.  Every year I tell ,my wife we are going again and every summer we just never do it.

4) Winsten Marsalles (sp.?) in a Jazz concert, again at the Planting Fields.

5) The best was a completely unexpected one.  When my daughters were  still in strollers and toddlers we went to a Long Island hot air festival.  We spent the day, getting alot of handouts from Long Island businesses and playing kid's game.  Around dinner time the hot air balloons were launched, and surprisingly there was a concert by the Doobie Brothers who had just gotten back together and were testing the tour waters.  We had dinner on the grass listening to the Doobies, watching Hot Air Balloons and holding our daughters as they fell asleep.  AT the end of the concert a fireworks display started causing both girls to wake up crying but were soon mesmerized.  A day I will never forget.

Best I managed to avoid!  My wife took my youngest daughter to see Miley Cyrus at Nassau Collesium.

Who I would like to see?  Probably Bruce Springsteen as his reputation for great Concerts is well known.  Still I am not about to pay the price those tickets cost!

#3 2009-12-10 13:19:00

Herb

Great question!

I guess my first was just unforgettable. B.B. King opened for Janis Joplin/Big Brother and the Holding Company. Anderson Theatre on 2 Ave.

Saw a bunch at The Fillmore East, one of the best lineups was Steppenwolf, Quicksilver, and The Grateful Dead. They were all great.

The Blues Project at Cafe Au Go Go. I may have lost some hearing that night.

For awhile, my buddies and I were going to all the Byrds concerts we could, and they were always fantastic. Back when they had the great Clarence White, Gene Parsons, and Skip Battin on board.

Emmylou Harris in a couple of clubs in Manhattan. Emmylou always destroys it. Accompanied by 'The Hot Band' ("accept no subsitutes", as she said).

Cream at MSG few years ago. The ticket prices were obscene but, boy am I glad we didn't miss that opportunity

Most recently, Steely Dan at Bethel Woods, where the real Woodstock site was. They were fabulous, that was one fun summer night, last year.

Last edited by Herb (2009-12-17 00:03:15)

#4 2009-12-10 13:31:38

zigzag

Mad Sci Guy - Your post reminded me of an incredible concert I attended at Lincoln Center in the early 80's.Wynton Marsalis was performing with some of the original Duke Ellington orchestra. It was a time when he was coming into his own, and they passed the baton to him in a series of musical exchanges that were incredible. The old timers gave him a good run for his money and teased him as well.

Yes, Springsteen gives his all in concert. I saw him three times, but the best was in Oakland in 2000 during the E St Band reunite tour. It was an amazing concert.

#5 2009-12-11 00:00:54

michael

8/1/69 at the fillmore ,santana, three dog night, canned heat; november 69, the who in washington,dc

#6 2009-12-13 16:29:31

Olivia

Several R&R shows @ the Brooklyn Paramount in the late 50's or early 60's. I think it was probably the beginning of concert tours, but they still called them "shows". Also, Norah Jones @ Jones Beach, Josh Groban @ Jones Beach & Ray Charles @ Westbury. I almost forgot, About 5 yrs ago I saw Bette Midler @ Radio City. The woman has amazing energy & is such a superb entertainer. I think that's probably my favorite.

#7 2009-12-14 15:11:30

Murray Hill

Lynyard Skynyrd 1976
2nd Row Academy of Music on 14th street

I knew nothing about the band except that they sang "Sweet Home Alabama"
I was so blown away by the concert I walked away an instant fan.

Hearing Free Bird LIVE the very first time I ever heard the song.......PRICELESS

#8 2009-12-14 15:24:25

Sal

Olivia-Those were great shows at the Brooklyn Paramount-calmer times when you could go down in the Subway at 11 PM at De Kalb and Flatbush Avenues!

Lot of Good shows by Murray the K at the Brooklyn Fox Theather!

#9 2009-12-15 12:56:35

paddy moore

Alvin lee  10 Years After

#10 2009-12-15 19:26:44

electchester

Too many to even remember...  Fillmore East I saw Cream..    Pink Floyd: The Wall.... I really enjoyed Fleetwood Mac.. Saw Paul McCartney... Elton John/Billy Joel..etc.  I could go on forever...  Of course nothing topped being at Woodstock... Don' think I'm a geek, but Paul Anka is one of my favorites.. See him every year when he comes to Westbury Music Fair..

#11 2009-12-15 20:19:49

jimbo
Website

Electchester, you just jogged my memory by mentioning, Westbury Music fair.  At about 1969 or 1970, Tom Jones was scheduled to appear at the fair to do a concert. I was living in Smithtown at the time. When I arrived home from work my wife had this tale to tell me. It seems that one of my neighbor's girls was out horseback riding with her friend and had fallen off her horse. About the same time, this silver Mercedes pulls up asking if he could help. It was none other than Tom Jones.The other girl led the horses back, but my neighbor's girl got a ride home with Tom. It was summer and my wife was outside when the Mercedes pulled up and Tom and the girl got out. My wife said she almost fainted when she found out it was Tom Jones in the flesh,(every housewifes dream). After a little conversation, a thank you and a kiss on the cheek to both woman and the girl, he said good-by and left. Well, my wife and her girlfriend across the road talked about that for months.

#12 2009-12-16 11:34:22

zigzag

Herb - You saw Janis? That is totally amazing!

Electchester - I'm jealous, you saw Cream, and went to Woodstock! No, you are not a geek.

jimbo - I loved that story and I still think at his age, that he is hot!

#13 2009-12-17 00:00:39

Herb

zigzag...it truly was amazing. I feel lucky.

jimbo.....great story about Tom Jones. I'm not totally surprised he would help a person out. As big a star as he is, he seems to have a down to earth quality about him.

And to answer one of your questions, zigzag, I would love to see Pam Tillis in concert. Anywhere would be fine with me, but given the country music star that she is, it would awesome to see her outdoors, on a hot summer night at a county fair. That's always how I envision it when I listen to her CD's in the car. Perhaps in Tennessee, since one of her greatest hits is "Maybe it was Memphis" (Of course the Tennessee audience would go crazy when she does that number, it's always like that) . We'll do it one of these days.

Last edited by Herb (2009-12-17 00:18:53)

#14 2009-12-17 07:46:08

jo

wow,  westbury music fair  i forgot all about that.  I too,  saw Tom Jones perform in concert there. I was a young kid  and at the time i went with my father and mom who was a huge tom jones fan.  well, i did not want to go but after seeing him perform i loved him   i look back at those memories now and I am so grateful to have went to see him with  my dad and mom.  thanks for bringing back that memory i had not thought of that in years

#15 2009-12-17 08:36:20

jimbo
Website

jo, I've been to the Westbbury Music Fair, several times over the years. I do remember it was a nice place ,and I had a fun time. I just dont remember anyone in particular I saw there, maybe Hermans Hermets ?

#16 2009-12-17 08:55:22

Mad Sci Guy

I too have been to Westbury music fair, although it is now called "theater at Westbury".  I saw Diana Krall for free as my brother sent me tickets when he could not make the trip to NY from SC at the last minute.  I also saw Tim Conway playing the part of Felix in the Odd Couple.  Also my daughters had numerous dance performances at the place which was always great fun if chaotic.

#17 2009-12-18 10:48:44

Olivia

Mad Sci Guy---Diana Krall, WOW. Love her music. Didn't know she'd been to Westbury. I guess I should pay more attention to their website. I recently became probably her last fan to discover that she's married to Elvis Costello. What an interesting couple.

#18 2009-12-18 11:49:10

Herb

If you are an Elvis Costello fan, like I am, and happen to have the Sundance Channel in your cable package, don't miss Elvis's weekly show. It's called Spectacle, and the second season recently started. He interviews his musical guests, followed by live performances by the guest, with Elvis and a kick ass back up band. He is actually a really good interviewer, too!   

www.sundancechannel.com/spectacle/

(I love Diana Krall too, and she appeared as a guest on the show last season)

Last edited by Herb (2009-12-18 12:21:04)

#19 2009-12-19 16:52:57

Olivia

Herb---Thanx for the tip about the show on cable. I don't have Sundance, so I need to check on the monthly fee for it.

#20 2010-01-31 16:09:02

Queenskid

Led Zep - 1968 or 69 at the old New York State pavilion at the worlds fair grounds. Lady Gaga at Radio City last week for my 13 years old daughters first concert.

#21 2010-03-16 21:37:53

East 23rd

Queenskid,

I was at that Led Zep Pavilion concert in August 1969, too. I took some great pictures from the left side of the stage. Do you recall that there was a blackout during "The Lemon Song?" Plant sang the song without any amplification while flashlights were shone on him.

Hendrix in May 1968, and The Jeff Beck Group, with Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood, the following month; both shows were at Bill Graham's Fillmore East, near 6th street.

The Stones at Carnegie Hall in June, 1964. I sneaked in through the basement of the Little Carnegie movie theater. What a show, hosted by Murray the K.

Animals at the Paramount on Broadway in 1964.

The Who and Cream with Mitch Ryder at the R.K.O. 57th st. in early 1967.

Last edited by East 23rd (2010-03-16 21:43:40)

#22 2013-09-24 14:19:52

alfonso

The Beatles at Shea in 66, The Who numerous times at the Garaden and one outrageous performance at Jones Beach, Stones, Sly and Tull. It was great having so many opportunities growing up in New York !!!

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu