Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1 2013-10-06 15:09:14

CharlieP.

Sat. Mornings In NYC when You Twelve

I would wake up to my best day of the week,and find my weekly $2.00 allowence on the kitchen table. I would then head to my best friend's house,and deside on our weekly subway exploring trip. Broad Channel to hunt rabbits,Rockaway to just walk around,(after riding on the back of the "A" train over the B.C. bridge,which was really fun ) go into Manhattan and walk around Central Park,then down to Washington Sq. Park to check out the buskers,Coney Island for the f.f.& hot dogs,or maby into Brooklyn to check out Prospect Park. Yes,we were definately young adventurers back then and NYC was our world. What a fun time that was back in the 50's. When I got home my mother used to say to us; " where did you guys venture off to today ".
       I usually had about fifty cents left over for the rest of the week. Trains were a fifteen cent token,and the hot dogs were about a quarter. Wow,what a life we had growing up,I wouldn't trade it for the world. NYC was simply the best back then,it had everything to offer,all within an hour subway ride. Those beautiful memories are always with me. I can always visit now,but i can no longer relive those days. Sad

#2 2013-10-06 18:43:47

jimbo
Website

Re: Sat. Mornings In NYC when You Twelve

For me and my friends Sat. was movie day. Saturday matinee at the Town theater on Main St. Flushing. For 12 cents we had hours of entertainment.
Old Tarzan and Western movies were my favorite.

#3 2013-10-06 19:52:00

Pomonoker

Great post! We definitely would do Coney Island. St George Hotel pool. Times Square for the arcades and the 1.29 steak dinner( or some number like that). If it was the movies, it was more likely Jamaica Ave theaters. Not on allowance, but on money from newspaper route.
Charlie, what is a busker?

#4 2013-10-07 09:59:17

CharlieP.

Pomonoker,
        I'm getting like my father,can't spell but like to use big words. LOL A busker is a street performer.
         Correction : It was the "E" train that went to Rockaway back then,not the "A". ( not to mention the "were" on my topic ). Damn this old age.
          That St. George Hotel pool was the only salt water pool in the City.I went there one time with my friend. I believe we got off at the High St. Brooklyn Bridge stop on the A line. Yea, those Jamaica Ave. theators were a big hit back then.There were at least five of them,all within a five or six block radious. Savoy,RKO Alden,The Merrick,The Valencia,& maby one or two that I forgot.

#5 2013-10-07 13:36:46

jimbo
Website

Charlie, going to Jamaica was a whole adventure for a young teenage boy, very busy town. It had a lot of movie theaters and a multitude of stores. If you couldn't find what you were looking for in Jamaica, Manhattan was the next step.

#6 2013-10-08 11:36:48

CharlieP.

jimbo,
           Yea,Jamaica was the place to go to find just about anything back then. Now,it looks real strange without the el overhead. I call myself a Jamaican,because I was born in Jamaica,Queens,that is.LOL Mary Immaculate Hosp.which I believe is now out of business.Al Roaker,the news caster,was also born in Jamaica.

#7 2013-10-08 13:08:33

Pomonoker

Where in Jamaica, CharlieP? I was from the Jamaica side of Flushing.

#8 2013-10-08 13:50:04

jimbo
Website

Charlie, Jamaica even had a Montgomery Wards.LOL

Jamaica's main drag (Jamaica Ave)...By  having the  El overhead always gave the area an air of mystery about it. All the people and so many stores to explore.

#9 2013-10-09 10:15:28

CharlieP.

Pomonoker,
        I believe Al Roaker was born in Jamaica Hosp.,which was on the Van Wyke Exp. Mary Immaculate was behind Kings Park,just north of Jamaica Ave. At that time I lived one block so. of Atlantic Ave.on 76th. St. Almost exactly on the border of Brooklyn ,Ozone Park,and Woodhaven.I took the 22 Atlantic bus into Jamaica from there. I can remember a theater on Suphin Blvd.that had burlesque shows.Went there for a batchlor party.

#10 2013-10-09 14:47:12

ed d

the only thing I ever did on Sutphin Blvd. was to wait 3 hours to get new license plates

#11 2013-10-09 16:38:35

alfonso

If my memory still works I think the two big movie theatres on Jamaica Avenue were the RKO Keith's and the Loews Valencia. Two majestic theatres.

#12 2013-10-09 17:13:18

Pomonoker

The Keiths was in Flushing, but you are right, two very majestic theaters in there day.

#13 2013-10-09 17:16:41

Pomonoker

there was a place on Sutphin, just off Jamaica Ave, that was a combination Pool Hall, and Bowling Alley. I used to pinboy there on occasion. I want to say it was called Sutphin Lanes, or Sutphin Arena, but not sure about that.

#14 2013-10-09 18:23:34

Olivia

I lived in Jamaica from the age of 1 -5 yrs old & then moved to CH. As a teenager, Jamaica Ave was a big part on my social life. Still have great memories of Valencia theater, an ice cream parlor further down by the Merrick theater & "terminal pizza" @ a pizza counter in the bus terminal. After I graduated from nursing school, my 1st job as an RN was @ Mary Immaculate Hospital. My brothers were born there. I didn't work there for long. The nuns who ran the hospital were like the Gestapo & I couldn't stand it.

#15 2013-10-09 20:14:15

jimbo
Website

The Jamaica YMCA Was one of the Best in NY... Professional body builders worked out  in in the weight room with man by the name of Leroy Colbert who later became Mr. America.
The Jamaica Y also had great programs for young men who took up boxing, wrestling swimming etc.   Back then I participated in all three with the bargain price of of a membership.
The Y also had boarding facilities for men who needed to flop for the night... great memories.

#16 2013-10-09 21:24:58

DrSteve

Jimbo: I was also a member of the Central Queens YMCA located on Parsons Blvd.&Jamaica Ave. I spent many years in that building (remember Mills Hall) and of course the large gymnasium that the Police Athletic League (PAL) would use for boxing. I also remember swimming in the basement swimming pool (bathing suits were optional at that time 1959-61). I even remember visiting the church across the street and doing arts & crafts in their basement facility. Great memories...Olivia I remember Valentino's pizza and Merit Farms delicatessen just outside the 165th Street bus terminal, but clearly recall a donut shop in the terminal building that had great glazed donuts! I even recall getting a shoe shine fro a stand within that terminal. Ahh...those were the days. DrSteve

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu