Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#26 2010-08-31 17:36:34

nnnnnnn8

Re: gotham hospital

Gotham Hospital

Great to see that there are so many others born at Gotham Hospital 30 E. 76th St.   When my children were small and asked me, "Mom, what hospital were you born at?"  I realized they wouldn't believe me.  I think they still don't believe me.  I even had doubts myself;  I lchecked birth certificate.

I'd like to know more about this hospital.  Is there anyone out there that has info/photos, name of doctor that signed BC?

I was born Sept. 26, 1947; I have a birthday coming up.  What a great gift to see the hospital I was born at.  And to boot a hospital immortalized by the BATMAN movies.

Thanks.
Norma

#27 2010-11-30 10:13:04

b23x

Saying you were born at Gotham Hospital always gets a reaction.

I have the cancelled check my father wrote on my birth day, May 23, 1944, to Gotham Hospital for $120.00.  On the back of the check is a hand written endorsement "Gotham Hospital" and stamps showing payment to "Gotham Sanitarium, Inc." through Fulton Trust and Guaranty Trust of New York.

I was delivered by Dr. Ricci.

#28 2012-03-09 12:55:16

StevieT

While watching "The Dark Knight" I mentioned to my wife of 35 years that I was born in Gotham Hospital on 10/12/1944 at 11:30 am.  She of course didn't believe me so I found my birth certificate to prove it.  It always gets a laugh when I mention it to other people.  I am so curious about this hospital and I found this website which has helped me learn so much about the hospital.  My parents have been gone for a long time so I don't know much about what happened back then.  My mother and father both worked for the "NY Times" so I assume that they lived in Manhattan, but we moved to Westchester when I was young.  My birth certificat lists my father as a soldier and I believe he was overseas when I was born.  The best I could make out on BC was my mother's doctor was Howard Gerglas?  I had worked in all parts of NYC, but have been living upstate NY for 35 years.  It's only 75 from NYC so I'm not too far away.  Thanks for everyone's news about the hospial

#29 2014-01-09 13:05:09

Margarita9

Glad to see all these replies to the Gotham Hospital question.  Always wondered if I remembered rightly or if it was just a figment of my imagination.  I remembered that it was at 76th St. & Madison Avenue.  I was born there in 1936.

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu