Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1 2003-02-17 02:57:00

_barb

First Avenue Boys

Does anyone know anything about the "First Avenue Boys" and it president Charlie Murphy?
My 84-year old dad says this Charlie was his Godfather at Baptism.

#2 2003-02-18 21:22:00

_george.thompson@nyu.

Re: First Avenue Boys

first avenue boys

Charlie Murphy would be Charles F. Murphy, the leader of Tammany Hall during nearly all of the first quarter of the 20th century.  He seems to have taken control of Tammany in 1903 or thereabouts and to have held control until his death in 1924.  There is an article about him in the American National Biography.

The First Avenue Boys Association was a club for boys sponsored by Tammany.  The only things that show up about it in the NYTimes historical file, before 1941 are mentions in obituaries of several Tammany leaders: Abraham Harrison, once a newsboy, who was said to have been a founder of the Association and who died in 1933, age 53; Thomas F. Farley, "Big Tom", who was said to have been a member and who died in 1934, age 45; and Owen Kiernan, who died in 1940, age 73.  All these men were prominent in Tammany.  Presumably the association did what other boys clubs do, organized sports and so forth, while also building good will toward Tammany.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998.

#3 2003-02-19 23:54:00

_satch

Muyf

Murphy is buried in Calvary Cemetery in Queens. A memorial flagpole in Union Square in Manhattan is dedicated to him. (When it was erected, Tammany Hall was housed in a building still across Fourth Avenue from the park.) I think he lived a few blocks away on 2nd Avenue.

#4 2003-03-26 17:03:00

_bobbrauer

First Avenue Boys

The club "The First Avenue Boys" still exists. It was founded in 1925 by Charles Harnett, then a commissioner with the city. Other members over the years included Grover Whalen and Thomas Farley as well as most of the members of Tammy Hall. The club itself is now an association of those of us who grew up on the East Side of Manhattan, and while a fraternal organization is still involved in charity work. It has sponsered up until this year a reunion affair of other East side organizations such as Kips Bay Boys Club and the schools and churches of the east 50's. At one time the club boasted over 2,000 members and held dances That took the entire ballroom complexes of the Commadore Hotel. There was also a John Murphy that served as President of the club, but if memory serves me correctly his fathers name was Patrick (also a member) If I can supply you with any other information I would be happy to do so. You can contact me at bbrauer@commandfinancial.com or call 1-718-457-3851. Hope the information was useful Bob Brauer, President First Avenue Boys

#5 2003-05-28 20:37:00

_betsy

Grover Whalen

Hi folks!

Does anyone know where I could get a biography of Grover Whalen?  I am doing research on the World's Fair and his involvement.

Thanks,Betsyhp@aol.com

#6 2003-09-04 19:54:00

_tk2668

first avenue boys

Bob, are there any plans for a 2003 reunion?

#7 2003-10-06 16:49:00

_bbrauer

First Avenue Boys Reunion

to TK2668
  Yes, there will be a reunion in May 2004 at the Italian Charities of America on Queens Boulevard. The exact date is yet to be confirmed but it will be either the first or third Sunday. From 3 to 7 PM. If you are interested in attending please contact the club at bbrauer@prodigy.net.

#8 2003-10-14 07:26:00

_mike

Charles Murphy

for great reading on Charles Murphy, and a great and tragic NYC story that changed the country many ways,  check out the new book,     "Triangle,"     by David Von Drehle.     It's the story of the Triangle Waist Factory Fire,  and all who had something to do with it, and the reforms that came about in the wake of the 146 lives lost.

#9 2004-03-11 00:23:13

_krayz0

Charlie Murphy

Barb I would love to know your grandfather's name...

I have been doing a little research about Mr. Murphy...he is a rather distant relative of mine (his sister was my great grandmother i believe) and im always interested in hearing more about him and of course I'd be happy to share any information I can with you. My father grew up in one of his houses, but Mr. Murphy had passed away several years before he was born so most of what i know comes from old New York Times articles.

#10 2004-03-11 00:26:37

_krayz0

CFM

Anyone that has any interesting stories about Charlie Murphy id love to check it out...email me...Krayz0@aol.com

#11 2006-07-10 13:06:12

_treesa

Charlie Murphy

Charlie Murphy's Mother was my Great Great Grandfathers sister. Her name was Mary Ann Prendergast. If anyone has any information pleast let me know.

#12 2006-08-31 18:56:56

_roxie

Tammany hall and Murphys

My gggrandmother is Eliza Ann Murphy sister to John Murphy associated with Tammany Hall, does anyone know anything about the Murphys?

#13 2008-01-02 18:10:42

_doreenmannion

Murphy - Gaffney

hi - I'd love to hear more about Murphy - my GG Uncle was one of his Tammany cronies (James Gaffney). You can contact me at damannion at yahoo dot com.

#14 2008-03-08 18:20:21

_clarefarragher

First Avenue Boys

My Grandfather, Louis P. Korndoerfer, was the Historian of the group until his death in 1963.
Charlie Harnett's brother, Danny, & my Grandfather were vaudeville partners until Danny's untimely death. Charlie got my Grandfather a job with NYC Corrections. he was a "Keeper" at "The Tombs"

#15 2014-01-22 11:25:54

Joan

Charlie Harnett was a family name at our house! My Grandfather was a good friend (William Nelson). My Dad (Joseph Nelson) was a member all of  his adult life until we moved from NY in 1968. It was my understanding  that my grandfather was also one of the founders of this group. I remember my parents going to this famous First Avenue Boys Ball. It was one of the very few events they went to! In any case, is there anyone out there who was a member back in 1968 - or earlier? Believe it or not, my dad will be 100 on 3/2/2014 and we are celebrating his life. Any letter or response from anyone who remembers him (Joe Nelson) and would like to send it along would be MOST appreciated. He LOVED his membership in this group and was very proud of it. I have no doubt he would still be a member if we were in NY. Yes, he is still driving, living in his own home, mowing his lawn and very astute!!!!

#16 2014-02-05 15:00:20

Muireagain

My great uncle was Thomas Dorsey described as once president (news paper 1944) and a founder of the First Avenue Boys. There was mention of a historian of the club, is there a history?

#17 2014-02-13 13:29:48

Joan

My dad often spoke of the Dorseys (weren't there brothers?). Still want to find a person we can contact who can send birthday wishes for his 100th birthday - which is March 2nd. ANyone know of the President, other officers, a historian- anything????

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu