Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#126 2008-04-13 22:47:25

_georgefehr

Re: Street Gangs - late 50's

rrc1943

Do not know any of the names of the Saints you mentioned. I knew Eddie Cheslock, Richie Winski, Al Myers, Denny Butler, Victor Marshand.
You are probably talking about the junior saints.
We perioically meet on Myrtle Ave for lunch. There are about a dozen of us. I left Brooklyn in 1962. I lived on Halsey St. & hung out in Halsey & Putmam parks.
Did you know Eddie & John Hanft?

#127 2008-04-14 11:41:37

_rrc1943

George Fehr

George,

You’re right, we were called the Jr. Saints.  I knew Eddie Cheslack (?), and I knew a guy whose last name was similar to Winski.  As I recall, the guy I‘m thinking about had blond hair and was a weight-lifter.  I thought his name was Bobbie, but maybe they‘re brothers.   I’m not sure of the spellings of the names, but, after all, that was nearly 50 years ago.

Where do you have lunch on Myrtle Ave?  The last time I was up in NY was in January.  I was helping clean out my mother’s apartment on 69th Place in Glendale and ate at either Grace’s Pizza or the Glendale Diner.

#128 2008-04-14 12:37:57

_rrc1943

Some more names

George,

I remember the Hanft brothers, but can't place the names with faces.  I can also remember some faces, but can't remember the names.  Unfortunately, the memories fade after all this time.

I remember a guy named Bobby Uhl(?).  I think he had a sister named Joannie.

As I said, we used to hang around the ball field at PS68.  When the gates were closed, we used to go through a hole in the chain link fence by the train overpass on Forest Ave.

#129 2008-04-15 22:15:52

_georgefehr

rrc1943

I can't think of the name right now. It is right across the street from the park on Myrtle Ave. When I think of it I will let you know.I just thought of it the Belmont Stakes.

#130 2008-04-17 18:25:42

_bobg

Old memories

My old friend (who now lives in NJ) called & told me about this site. Many of the guys mentioned were my friends. I knew Tony Carlino since I was 11, he dated my older sister. I used to sing with him, my brother Billy & Pat Santoro. We sang in train stations & parks. Spent a great deal of time in Knickerbocker Park.
  I was born 1946, lived at Moffatt & Wilson till 1954, then moved to Seneca between Himrod & Harmon. In 1963 we moved to Grove & Wilson. I used to hang out at Hanks PoolRoom (Myrtle Av), The Grove (St. Nicholas & Palmetto), Jimmys (Irving & DeKalb) and sometimes at Clemenzas (Wilson & Grove) I knew the Hampf brothers from Hanks & also their older brother Bill. I remember Gorilla. Does anyone remember Sleepy from Halsey Park?
   I now live in Delaware.(People here think Brooklyn,NY is a foreign country).

#131 2008-04-18 15:28:27

_georgefehr

Bob G Reply

Bob,
Sleepy died in the 60's. He had a sister Linda McCormick who I knew very well.She was a good looking girl. I knew Gorilla. His real name was Ralph Maresca. The Hanft Bros. also had an older brother Tommy. John lives in Florida,& Eddie lives in Atlanta, Ga. If you read my other blogs, a dozen of us meet periodically on Myrtle Ave. Did you know the Elsasser's or the Martin's from Moffat St.?

#132 2008-04-18 20:42:23

_bobg

reply to George

I had to call my older brother Matt in Fla, and together we remember all the Elsassers-Donald, Robert, Joe, Patty, Tom, Maureen & Donny. The Martins were Richie, Jerry & Fred. We lived on the same block.
I had some relatives on Decatur & Wilson, my Uncle Rocky owned a Pool Room on Central & Cooper. I went to PS113, also went to church at 14 Holy Martyrs. It's interesting to hear all those old names & memories again.
Our kids still live in NY, (Suffolk  & Orange counties) and we try to visit whenever. RRC1943 is another old friend who visits us either on his way to or from NY.

#133 2008-04-19 11:50:09

_russc.(rrc1943)

Hank's Pool Room

I spent many hours at Hank's Pool Room.  I remember on Sundays, instead of going to St. Matthias, I used to go to what we called "Father Hank's Church Services."  I can picture Hank's in my mind now.  The counter was right as you entered the room.  Hank charged 60 cents an hour to play.  In front of the counter was the Number 1 table, a king table.  There were 8 tables in all.  In the corner near the window was a juke box.  No fancy lights over the tables, just the old-fashioned single light.  You could sometimes use the reflection of the light to line up your shot.  Late on Fridays and Saturdays was when it got interesting with some high-stakes "money-ball" games on the No. 1 table.  Dollar bills would fly across the felt; that was big money to me at the time.  Hank used to serve the worst pizza in Ridgewood.  He also had a guy working for him that had a withered arm, but who could shoot a mean game of pool.

#134 2008-04-20 12:37:52

_georgefehr

Rocky's

Joe G.

I shot pool in Rocky's pool room many times, but mainly in Pops poolroom on Eldert & Knickerbocker.

#135 2008-04-21 12:51:15

_rayfitz

K
ickerbocker Ave.

The only gang that I know of in the 50’s was a group that hung out in Putnam Park and they were the Clippers, I did learn about the el Quintos  and the Chaplains when I went to Alexander Hamilton, ( I ran from The Subway Station Kingston & Troop to the School every day and back. I was scared shitles)  I was told to ask some black guy in the school by another black kid if he was a Quintos unfortunately I had know idea what that was and I was informed that I was dead. I never went back to that school and then transferred to Bushwick High, Quit there in 1955 and joined a bigger gang in  1956  “USMC.”  Never really went back to Knickerbocker Ave. They tore down the building I lived in to expand St Martins.  I went back once since then after My Mom Died in 2000.  I can’t believe how small those streets are. I do remember that the Alhambra was .04$ on Saturday morning in the 40’s

#136 2008-04-22 09:33:44

_donnie

Knickerbocker Ave

I remember the Clippers. A friend of mine, Carly Zapp, was a prominent member.
    The "GANG" of the area of St. Martin's,however, which includes Halsey and Putnam Parks which was a club (gang)in every sense of the word both good and bad was the Halsey Bops. In its later years, simply known as Halsey.

#137 2008-04-28 00:03:46

_luis

Street Gangs of the fifties

I see many names mentioned, and truthfully, I never heard of many of these gangs, while I lived in Williamsberg, then Bed-Stuy. When I was growing up, (all Brooklyn) it was the Buccaneers, Ellery Bops (PuertoRican gang), The Young Demons, The Jesters, The Tiny Tims, The Phantom Lords, The El Quintos, The Hellburners, The Chaplins (Marcy, Ft Green, Dekalb, MauMaus, Albany), The Roman Lords,  Stompers, Imperial Lords, The Count Bishops, The Corsairs, The Latin Kings (from Ellery St & Throop Ave),The El Tones, The Medallion Lords, later the Black Diamonds, and even later (1961-62) did I finally hear about the Halsey Bops and Flaming Satans, when I met a girl who lived on Cornelia St and Central Ave. I remember a day in which the HBs (I guess) came down and there was a fight with the Satans, but it was mostly throwing bricks and bottles back and forth, and it was over really quick, as the police came with-in minutes.

#138 2008-04-29 23:20:12

_hsanta

remember me???

Reggie do you remember me Helen, I was Don's girlfriend???

#139 2009-07-02 19:38:06

reggie

Helen - It has been a while since I have been at this site - did not realize you had responded.  It has been a long time and knew so many people back then - but I think I do remember you.  I can't remember Don's last name - that would clarify it thoiugh.

Reggie

#140 2009-07-02 19:41:47

reggie

Where did everyone go - no posts since 4/29/08 ?

#141 2010-01-11 22:49:23

murrayhill

Hi– I am a new member– my aunt was Gladys Mobijohn– apparently she hung out with some of the Halsey Bops... she has been deceased for a long time, so I didn't get the full story of her time in the neighborhood. Maybe some of you remember her?
If you do, please post reply– would love to hear any memories of her.

#142 2010-02-22 11:04:22

georgefehr

murrayhill

I knew your aunt well. She was a few years younger than me. We hung out in Halsey & Putnam parks. She was a very nice girl and very quiet. I left the neighborhood in 1962 and did not go back until recently. There is about 12 of us . We meet at the Belmont Steaks resturant on Myrtle. I do not remember the street(I think about 178St). She was close to Ginny Bansford, Mousie De Fiore.
I will not say any more, since this is a public website. You can e-mail me at www.gfehr@brookdalecc.edu. We called her Mobi.

#143 2010-02-22 15:08:02

Murray Hill

To my friends on the board this looks like a new Murray Hill. It's not me :)

#144 2010-02-22 17:27:42

murrayhill

[quote=georgefehr]murrayhill

I knew your aunt well. She was a few years younger than me. We hung out in Halsey & Putnam parks. She was a very nice girl and very quiet. I left the neighborhood in 1962 and did not go back until recently. There is about 12 of us . We meet at the Belmont Steaks resturant on Myrtle. I do not remember the street(I think about 178St). She was close to Ginny Bansford, Mousie De Fiore.
I will not say any more, since this is a public website. You can e-mail me at www.gfehr@brookdalecc.edu. We called her Mobi.[/quote]
thank you george, I will email you for more info!

#145 2010-02-22 17:30:32

murrayhill

[quote=Murray Hill]To my friends on the board this looks like a new Murray Hill. It's not me :)[/quote]
yeah, I didn't know there was another murray hill. I'm the new guy– all lowercase

#146 2011-02-27 12:55:47

Lil798

Pizza Palor Massacre

I think your right It had to be the pizza place on the corner of dekelb ave & knickerbocker , I lived around the corner from there on hart street and knickerbocker and only remember that one.  I was eight when we moved only a few blocks away  to stanhope street and knickerbocker  I do remember a lot about the area does any one remember Circo's Bakery, or how about King solomans, and the Drug store on the corner of Hart  street  they were all on the same side of the pizza place, and later on came a record shop called Mo's right next to the Pizza place,even though they had there gangs and what not  that i do remember to well. every now and then I still drive by  and stop in front  St. Joesph church ,   I'm glad I grow up in Brooklyn , I now live in Glendale not far from the belmont steak house  that was mention earlier  just what to thank everyone for the memories!!!!!

#147 2013-07-26 03:52:04

lkoepke

Hi George, Whew, I finally got thru, what a trip this is reading all the names, I sure knew a lot of people, so sorry to hear abt Mobijohn, and Tommy Malone, so many are gone, so sad, Has anyone heard from JoJo, I saw Carol Richards in 1970 I believe, been trying to contact Mousey, she and I were tight once.I miss New York sometimes, went back abt 7yrs ago to show my husband, it sure has changed.

Last edited by lkoepke (2013-07-28 18:38:34)

#148 2013-08-17 10:01:28

TonyD

Do any of you guys remember a street gang in Bushwick in which the members had a small tattoo of a cross on their thumb?  I think their area was between Irving Ave and Bushwick Ave and Moffat St and Weirfield St.  Wondering if anybody has any stories about them or knows anything about them?

#149 2013-08-17 16:52:22

lkoepke

That may have been the Halsey Tot's I remember someone had it but don't remember who it was

#150 2013-08-19 19:53:24

TonyD

Hi Ikoepke,
They weren't part of the Halsey Tots, they were separate from all the named groups that ran around in the area in the 50's and 60's, just the cross on the members thumb was their only identifying mark

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu