Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1 2011-06-11 17:01:42

ms77

Looking for NYC spots that give clues to its past use

Hello,

I am wondering if I could get some help as I try to design a curriculum for 7-8 year old NYC kids. The big idea is that through looking closely and careful observation we can sometimes get clues to the past and its former function.  For example, noticing the train tracks and elevated platforms of the Highline can give us clear hints that this was once used for freight trains. Nearby our school we have a nail salon that clearly was once a fire station indicated by the Engine Co. ? carved above the doorway.  I was trying to think of other examples (perhaps restaurants now in old townhouses, converted carriage houses etc., but need more specific information. 

Can anyone think of any examples? 7 and 8's are still pretty concrete learners so the leaps they would have to make need to be relatively straightforward and easy to detect.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2011-06-11 20:44:48

Sal

Re: Looking for NYC spots that give clues to its past use

An old telephone directory from the Main Public Library would list the various FDNY Engine & Rescue companies- several in the W. Village and East Side of Manhattan are still standing. A few on East 39th & 38th between 3rd & Lex..

Also try the NYC Fire Museum-212-691-1303.

NYPD's Mounted Horse Unit (1st Pct.) on Ericson Pl. is in the process of moving to anothe location.

Good luck to the kids,sounds like a fun project.

Last edited by Sal (2011-06-12 13:37:40)

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu