East End Avenue and 88th Street
New York, New York 10128
Gracie Mansion, located on the banks of the East River, was constructed in 1799 as the country house of Archibald Gracie, a Scottish shipping magnate. The elite of New York and the literati of the day were entertained in the Federal style mansion notable for its three-sided porch and the trellis railings that sweep around the house at the upper levels. Gracie Mansion was acquired by the City of New York in 1896, and since 1942 it has been the official residence of the City's mayors. Today, ten rooms are open to the public, featuring art and antiques illustrating the history of the City of New York. Adjoining the mansion are a public part and beautiful river side promenade.