29 East 4th Street
New York, New York 10003
The transition from Federal to Greek Revival styles is captured in the architecture of this elegant row house. Situated in lower Manhattan, in what is now known as the East Village, The Merchant's House Museum is one of the Last remnants of a fashionable neighborhood built by New York's well-to-do in the early 1800s. Built in 1832, the house was purchased in 1835 by Seabury Tredwell, a prosperous hardware merchant, and remained in his family for almost 100 years, virtually unaltered. Authentically restored in the 1970s, the house museum displays original moldings, mahogany furniture, and clothing worn by the Tredwell daughters.