of 10 listed
for: A - D
Alwyn Court Apartments
Originally built as an apartment building, with sprawling 14-room apartments, which were later subdivided. The facade of the building is breathtakingly beautiful, totally covered with terra-cota ornamental carvings in the Francois I style. The building is located one block north of Carnegie Hall, and is worth a visit.
Bartow Pell Mansion Museum
Begun in 1836, the Pell mansion, on Long Island Sound, is a National Historic Landmark. It has a Greek Revival interior, gray stone exterior and furnishings in Federal and Empire styles. Also a formal garden. (And it really does look like a "mansion.")
Beth Hamedrash Hagadol
This Gothic Revival former Baptist church was built in 1850, and purchased in 1885 by the oldest Russian Jewish Orthodox congregation in America.
Formerly a stop on the network of Underground Railroad houses and churches in NYC. Originally Willet St. Church
Built by John Bowne in 1661, this is one of New York City's oldest houses and a fine example of Dutch-English architecture in the U.S. Owned by the Bowne family until 1945, the house has an extensive and notable collection of 17th and 18th century furniture, pewter, artifacts, paintings, and Bowne family documents. The house has additional historic significance because it was here that John Bowne voiced his opposition to the outlawing of the Quaker sect by New Amsterdam governor Peter Stuyvesan...
The world famous concert hall opened on May 5, 1891 with a five day festival during which the composer Tchaikovsky conducted his works. Built under Andrew Carnegie's patronage and designed by William Burnet Tuthill. In the late 1950's, the illustrious hall was nearly demolished save for the intervention of a group of citizens led by violinist Isaac Stern. In the 1980's the hall embarked on a $60 million renovation-restoration, the most extensive in its history, which was completed prior to the ...
The splendid Moorish Revival building designed by Henry Fernbach was built in 1872. Its sanctuary is the oldest Jewish house of worship in continuous use in the New York City. The structure features two star-studded bronze cupolas and a richly decorated interior of blues, earthy reds, ocher, and gilt - Moorish in inspiration but distinctly American 19th century. The Synagogue has an outstanding Judaica Museum which exhibits objects of Jewish life and ritual in exhibitions in the Synagogue and in...
Church of the Incarnation
This English Gothic Revival church, designed by architect E.T. Littell, opened its doors in the 1864. After a fire in 1882, it was rebuilt and enlarged and further restored in 1913. The church is richly decorated with windows, murals, wood carvings, statues and memorials by many well-known artists, including Daniel Chester French, John LaFarge, Louis Comfort Tiffany, Augustus Saint Gaudens, Edward Burne-Jones and William Morris.
Church of the Intercession
Called a Gothic Revivalist Dream come true, the Church of the Intercession is set on a bluf overlooking the Hudson River. Built in 1914, the large church, tower, cloister, parish house, and vicarage were designed by Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue for an independent congregation of the Episcopal Church of New York. The adjoining bucolic churchyard was once the rural cemetery of Wall Street's Trinity Church. In even earlier times, it was part of the farm of John James Audubon, the great artist-naturali...
Congreagtion Shaarai Shomoyim
First Romanian-American congregation. An impressive, much neglected interior distinguishes this imposing Romanesque-Revival building, which began as a church in 1890.