of 16 listed
for: S - Z
Samuel McKenzie Elliot House
Built around 1850 by prominent New York abolitionist Dr. Samuel McKenzie Elliot, this house is an official NYC landmark and was a stop on the underground railroad. It is now a private residence.
SEWARD PARK BRANCH OF NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY
A stunningly grand library with elaborate masonry, built in 1909.
ST. MARY'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
This venerable 1833 Roman Catholic church structure was built of gray stone and expanded in 1871 with idiosyncratic steeples atop an oddly proportioned brick facade.
The Brotherhood Synagogue
Former Quaker Meeting is located in Gramercy Park historic district. Built in 1859 by the fashionable New York architects Gamaliel King and John W. Kellum, the Neo-Italian structure became part of the underground railroad, giving refuge to runaway slaves. Praised for it simple, expressive spatial quality, the Meeeting house was acquired and restored in the 1970s by the Brotherhood Synagogue as a new home for their congregation.
The Eldridge Street Synagogue
The Eldridge Street Synagogue was the first house of worship built by Eastern European Jews on New York's Lower East Side. The synagogue is a National Historic Landmark, a New York City Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Merchant's House Museum
The transition from Federal to Greek Revival styles is captured in the architecture of this elegant row house. Situated in lower Manhattan, in what is now known as the East Village, The Merchant's House Museum is one of the Last remnants of a fashionable neighborhood built by New York's well-to-do in the early 1800s. Built in 1832, the house was purchased in 1835 by Seabury Tredwell, a prosperous hardware merchant, and remained in his family for almost 100 years, virtually unaltered. Authentical...
The New York Botanical Garden / Enid A. Haupt Cons
Built in 1891, the Botanical Gardens / Haupt Conservatory grounds include: one of the oldest largest botanical gardens in the country, specialty gardens and plant collections, a "children's adventure garden", and several historic landmark sites (U.S. and NYC). Some of these sites are: The Enid Haupt Conservatory itself (1901), The Snuff Mill (1840), and the Stone Cottage (1840). The Conservatory, with its 17,000 panes of glass over a wrought iron frame, covers an entire acre of space. Call or vi...
Trinity Church was chartered by King William III in 1697. The present structure, the third on this site, is located at Wall Street and Broadway, once the upper reaches of New Amsterdam, now the center of the financial district. Designed in the Gothic Revival style by Richard Upjohn in 1864, it remains one of the finest examples of English Gothic in North America.
Built in 1758 near the old Boston Post Road, linking Boston and New York, this Georgian home was lived in by a blacksmith (Valentine) and later a butcher (Varian) and was so near fighting in the Revolution that its first owner was forced to abandon it. Now home to the Museum of Bronx History. Focuses on early NY history, from Indian, Dutch, through Revolution.
Van Cortlandt House Museum
The oldest residence in the Bronx (1748). A three story Georgian home with 17th and 18th century Dutch and English furnishing this house was once a prosperous plantation and the site of Revolutionary War marches (Washington's 1783). Owned by the Van Cortlandts until 1889.